Index to Yiddish Periodicals (IYP)
The Avrom-Ytskhok Lerner Index to Yiddish Periodicals (IYP) is an ongoing Yiddish language bibliographical project. In the IYP online database are recorded the contents of nearly 1000 periodicals published worldwide from 1862 onward.
A specially devised record format and a highly efficient search tool allow users to rapidly locate the specific data they need in more than 285,000 bibliographical records.
The menu at the top of this page will lead you to all the details about the scope, contents, structure and use of the database.
Most of the IYP records provide direct access to the digital versions of the original printed materials.
The database can only be searched using Hebrew characters.
According to their Geographic-Historical Distribution
The New York monthly journal Di tsukunft (1892-2010) is now completely indexed.
Most of the early years of publication up to 1925 are now available electronically. See more details
Di goldene keyt
The Tel Aviv Journal Di goldene keyt (1949-1995) has been completely indexed but is not yet available online. See the bibliographical details
IYP has left the old “Aleph” catalogue and has now adopted the new Merhav system.
See our User’s Guide
The pages of our website offer:
- A general description of the IYP project and its characteristics.
- Information about the selection of printed materials and the structure of the bibliographical records in the database (in Yiddish).
- Detailed explanations and tips about searching the IYP database.
- A full list of the indexed publications with a host of bibliographical details.
- Answers to frequently asked questions, as well as various useful tools.
- A form to contact us with any kind of questions or remarks.
The institutions whose support makes the IYP project possible: